Monday, October 26, 2015

How I Learned to do Makeup

Business casual vampire pinup
A lot of people ask me to teach them how to do makeup/do their makeup/teach them but I am not professionally trained in makeup nor do I profess to be a makeup artist. I love makeup, and I watch a buttload of YouTube tutorials. I also learned a lot from my old days on LiveJournal's MAC community, back in 2005ish. I do watch tutorials almost every day, and I follow makeup artists on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, and Snapchat so that I can continuously learn and improve. I learn about products, watch reviews and swatch videos. I follow people of all walks of life: actual professional makeup artists, Goths, people who love makeup, SFX artists, men, women. So what I thought I'd do is leave a list of the ones I watch consistently, links to their YouTube channels and social media. One thing I need to start searching for, for myself, are tutorials on applying lipstick with oral-facial piercings, because I got snakebites 5 weeks ago and they'll be healed enough soon to wear lip products again. Hooray!

All links will open in a new window.


Actual Makeup Artists

Samantha, aka Batalash Beauty
YouTube
Instagram

She seriously is awesome, but she does swear a lot, so if that bothers you, maybe don't watch? But her smoky eye is on point so she's worth it. She's also one of the most real people online.

Nikkie, aka Nikkie Tutorials
YouTube
Instagram

Nikkie is Dutch and you would never know it because she has almost no accent. She's hilarious and her Snapchat is always a treat to watch.

Leesha, aka XSparkage
YouTube

Leesha was one of the first people I started watching on YouTube for makeup tutorials. I don't watch her as much any more, but her Snow White tutorial has forever influenced how I do a pinup look.

ReeRee Phillips
YouTube
Instagram

While ReeRee is Goth, she is also a professional makeup artist. Her looks do tend to be more Goth though, but her voice is so soothing, and her Halloween tutorials have been absolutely amazing (check out her version of Bride of Frankenstein, it's gorgeous).

Heather, aka Sokolum
YouTube
Instagram

Also more toward the Goth style, but her makeup and technique are so good. I wish she posted more.

SFX and Body Paint Artists

Lex, aka MadeyewLook
YouTube (SFX and Body Paint)
Beauty Channel
Instagram

Holy crap she's amazing. She's also a licensed esthetician. Her body paint and sfx are outstanding but her regular beauty videos are just as amazing

GlamandGore
YouTube

Just... watch her. She's amazing.

Klaire de Lys
YouTube

A lot of her fantasy makeup has very wearable elements and simple application.

Goths who do makeup tutorials

Tori, aka ToriBiohazard, aka BiohazardousBeauty
YouTube
Instagram

Not only does she have this super soothing voice, she also reviews products and she's very honest when she doesn't care for something. I've used her makeup tutorials as inspiration for some of my looks in the past.

Bianca, aka DracMakens
YouTube
Instagram

Bianca generally does Goth makeup and makeup inspired by stuff (she recently did makeup inspired by Frankenberry, Booberry, and Count Chocula cereals that was super fun) but she also has a massive lipstick collection and does reviews of them and other types of makeup too.

Caligo Bastet
YouTube
Instagram

Caligo does tutorials for men, but also does a couple for women too. His vlogs are also interesting, and he has a couple DIY videos too.

Black Friday
YouTube
Instagram

I love Black Friday. She has a blase approach to makeup tutorial, if she messes up she says "oh well" and I just love her face. She's excellent to watch if you're getting into the Goth subculture and you want to see traditional Goth style.

Dorian, aka ofherbsandaltars
YouTube
Instagram

Fair warning: Dorian's videos are long. The makeup tutorials are more Goth but easy to follow. The "waffle" vlogs are interesting though, and another YouTuber with a seriously soothing voice.


It's a long list, and there are some I watch but not regularly enough to put here. I'd love to do videos of my own but I don't have the suitable equipment to do so, and poor lighting (I do have a channel here, if you're interested. There are a few dodgy tutorials on there). If you have any questions (or any of the links don't work) please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment